Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Flipping Turtles



Today as I rode my bicycle near Mt. Vernon Illinois, I passed this turtle stuck on his (her? I don't know how to tell) back. At first I thought "Wow that sucks!" Then I stopped and turned around and rode back. I checked it over, it hadn't been hit, and I flipped it right side up and set it in the grass. Then I rode on.

Jesus told a story about a business man who stopped to help a wounded traveler. He cleaned and bandaged his wounds, took him to an inn, and spent money on his rehabilitation there. Jesus called that neighborly.

The business man didn't start a home for wounded travelers, or apply for a government grant, or start a not-for-profit to begin helping wounded travelers world wide. He helped the one he saw.

Today or tomorrow you might see a wounded traveler, or a kid with problems he solves with dope, or a woman whose husband mistreats her, or a turtle on its back. You aren't responsible for all the pain in the world. There is a God and you are not Him. But you can do something. Ask Him what that something is. He'll tell you.

If you see a turtle on its back today - flip it over and set it in the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment